Monday, July 7, 2014

My dreams for my daughter


                                   
 I had dreams
 brave simple dreams
 for my baby daughter.
 
 I would sit for hours
 and just watch her
 play and chatter
 with the flowers.
 
  She prattled away
  and bounced all day
  as curiosity and candour
  met vivacity and wonder.
 
  While I was troubled
  about whom she took after
  my baby just bubbled
  with joy and with laughter.
 
  I dreamt of her growing
  into a happy and caring soul
  someone who dared to think
  someone clear, wise and whole.

  So when she turned three
I sent her to a nursery
  and then enrolled her
  in a school
  with a “reputation”
  to get an education.

 Now I feel like a fool
 caught in an aberration.
 I'd showed her
 how to care and share
  the food we eat
  and clothes we wear.
 
  In first grade  she was trained
  once even caned
  and made to believe
  there's no need to grieve
  for those who have less..
  if they're poor
  its their fault...
  no need to be selfless.
 
  In grade two
  she learned to repeat
 "you're sure to rue
  if you don't compete
  Its not enough
  to do your best
  you must somehow
  come First
  and defeat the rest."
 
  By grade three
  she was never free
  her school bag kept bulging
  she was always memorizing
 the profound and  the inane 

 I watched in pain
 as my baby became
 fearful and obedient
 instead of growing
 strong and resilient.
 

  Now that she's in grade four
  I wonder if she can take it anymore
  Geography and physics
  Science and arithmetics
  She needs this knowledge no doubt
  Its the pace I'm worried about
 
  With so much facts, figures and rhetoric
  it is mental acrobatics
  her mind is pushed to the brink
  she'll soon forget how to think.
 
  Pounded with information
   I'm afraid
  they've killed her emotion,
  her scruples
  and values,
  her penchant for fairness
  along with
  her lovely imagination.
 
 And I now sit and watch
my little wild flower

become a table rose.

No comments: