Monday, July 7, 2014

The day they came to see me


 
  Its a wonderful proposal
  my father would say
  the boy's good looking
  well settled in U.S.A.
 
  The day they came to see me
  I was dressed and displayed
  was useless to plea
  that I hated this charade
  this awful solo parade.
 
  Looking down demurely
  I served them tea and coffee
  I never really got to see
  the people
  who came to "see" me.
 
  Four pairs of eyes assessing
  my height, colour and weight
  four pairs of eyes appraising
 deciding on my fate.
 
  Was asked to sit and stand
  I did
  was seething inside
  but managed to hide
  my rage.
 
Was asked to sing
 wanted to scream
but sang
and my voice had a ring
of muted angst.

Now they turned to my mother
and asked
Is "she" ( I think they meant me)
is she domestically trained??
 For a moment I thought
 Oh, maybe they mean my puppy !
 
  But no, it must be me
 Amma is almost in a faint
  she quickly announces
  that I can cook, sew and paint
  she’s decided
  she'd rather lie
  than put a taint
  on my "chances".
 
  A week later
  the awaited message came
  a letter to my father
  said
  they approved of his daughter
  (I don't think they even  knew my name!)
 
  Then began discussions
  my uncle was called to mediate
  auspicious dates
  wedding arrangements
  and  god-awful dowry rates.
 
  I was told time and again
  its hard to find good men
  Such a lucky girl-
  my folks said.
  Nobody ever thought
  there could be a whirl
  in my head.
 
  Yes they'd come and watched me
  but did they really
  see
  what's inside this skin ?
  Yes they'd come and heard me
  but did they try
  and listen
  to the voice from within ?


No comments: