Monday, July 7, 2014

Don't Speak To Me Of Love, My Friend

( for k, especially)

 My mothers womb,
did i forsake
that precious morn
when i was born.
She sweated and laboured,
I gasped and cried.
life 
was our reward…
yet is it not  odd
that though
those wrenching pains
have gone,
a tenderness remains?

I embraced this life
like a lover besotted.
yet somehow
time
has never passed me by
she’s entered my soul,
opened my eyes
and made me cry-
for all those
forgotten,
humiliated,
dismissed
living in fear
and struggling
to survive.

This romance with living
has been a tussle
with anger and shame.
no carefree childhood
no frolicking youth
for me.

Too restless for my fathers lap,
too dauntless for my  husbands  breast,
these too did  i forsake.
the  old ache  returned
life blood  churned.
with each  bond i spurned
tears became rain..
yet new life surged
in me again.

I soared away into the ether
with little apart
from an intrepid heart
and  my bunch of dreams.

There we met, soul mates in outer space
chasing rainbows in an elusive race
carrying same ideals in tow,
both afflicted with a loneliness
only dreamers know has no redress.
an extra terrestrial connection was made.
we talked  till we cried  and down we laid.
feeling safe in each other’s arms
at last we nestled, indulged
in our bodies’ gentle  charms.

Still a shadow lurked
we broke out in  sweat
we smelt the familar threat
of asphyxiation
soul erosion
from bondage
and  devotion.
I recoiled in a  mili second
and sensed your retreat too.
and sensed your retreat too.

So let us not speak  of love, my  friend
and  then each other rue.
don’t look at me like that, please
i’m quaking in my knees
your  tenderness stings
clips my wings,
your compassion warms
my restlessness it calms
but this illusion of peace
blocks   vital arteries.

I know  how much we needed
that interlude my friend,
yet it is time we heeded
the call from the rainbows end. 

No comments: