Monday, July 7, 2014

Was it I who said that knowledge liberates?


Visions of learning,
Learning to help the poor
Excitement and anticipation
I became a student at the Institute.

Others too flocked there
Enamoured by the magic word
`Management'.
While they learnt to manage
Dairy projects
The productivity
Of cows and buffaloes..
I somehow taught myself
The `management' I needed
To keep my soul's fire
A passion for justice
Alive.

Two years later
Leaving the walled Institute behind
Anticipation returned.

Alas, even at work
I was forced
To put
The diseases of cross-bred cattle
Before
The travails of common people.
Frustrated
By my own efficiency
I quit
To start anew.


Learning began for me
when for others
it had long ended.

II.

Looked high and low
To find a group
Through whom I could offer
Not my `services' for the poor
But myself.
Finally, the search ended
Though labelled  a trainer
And a community organiser
Work was a pilgrimage of learning
My teachers - those I had gone to teach.

Their transparent simple logic
Courage bordering on recklessness
Quiet dignity -
Even when they called me `helper'
It was they who helped me
Find myself.

My students and I
Our times together
Have been an intoxicating love affair
Discovering
Why we are
This way or that
Symbiotic relationships
Grappling with
Insidious processes
And subtle forces
That have made us
Who we are..
This knowledge
Wrested
From a million conversations
Became a liberation from ignorance
And an end to complacence

And yet
Their manacles
Of  inhuman treatment
A scapegoat called Caste
Manipulations
In the names of Gods
Their fetters
Of emptiness and hunger
Insecure tomorrows
Questions without answers
Waiting and waiting for the rains...
All these
From which I had always been free
Now shackled me strangely.
……Was it I who said
that knowledge Liberates??


Release came
Not in breaking these chains
But in subversive struggles
And open confrontations
A refusal to accept
Indignity and humiliation.
Like besotted lovers
We smiled, cried and said
With hope and faith
No obstacle is too great
a new world we’ll create..


III.

The hardest lesson
Was yet to begin.
We ate and stayed and talked together
I dressed and sang
the way they did.
Yet when I opened a book
Or talked of home
Or just waited for the post
I saw a silent hurt
A  resignation
in their eyes
It seemed as if  I'd gone away
leaving them, my friends
far behind.

In desperation and in fear
I searched for words
Retold the stories in the book
They listened and smiled
Like a fool, I assumed
That all was well.

Slowly realization dawned
The simple fact
That I could read and travel
Mattered much more
Than we dared to admit.
Though intimate
We could not become One.

Like lightening it hit me
How different I am from them
My culture, my values
My beliefs about love and marriage
My home, my lifestyle,
My parents wealth
The way I wore my hair..
All that I had not yet shared
Haunted and threatened this bond
So lovingly and painfully wrought.
I felt …..an adulteress.

Sensing this turmoil, they
In their wisdom said
`Differences not created by us
Cannot divide…
They consummate our bond in pain
Yes, we are different
Victims of a society
That alienates people
Destroys self respect of the poor
But  you are  trying to see the world
with our eyes,
To feel our hunger and our anger
In your gut
So these “differences”
can, maybe  blur.’?

But still, my pain lingers
I  gasp for breath
And struggle, try  not become
An alien
To my soul.


June 1988
















No comments: