Monday, July 7, 2014

Musings with the Mirror

I stared at her
for the millionth time
that face  I knew so well.
When a muscle twitched
could  easily tell
if it meant fury
or  deep sorrow.

But what I saw of her now
seemed a sad,
weighed down, shadow.
In desperation
I bolted the  door
tried to hold on
grab her attention.

She looked back at me
as sad as ever.
The futility of my words
Palpable.



I caught her today,
staring at me.
with tear filled eyes,
those very same eyes
I’d seen
dancing with laughter.

I stared right back.
Her brow, creased in pain,
Shoulders, wracking with sobs
mouth tremulous, whimpering
out of control.
That very same mouth
I’d seen giggling,
with  much mirth
and  such lovely banter.

Tried to reach out
touch her
but my limbs were frozen,
frozen in the  washroom mirror.
While walls spun around
in slow motion.
My reflection and I
stayed still.
We stayed still
in a dizzying,
communion.

I looked  again into the mirror
And pondered
Why on earth
I looked like her?
How did it all begin?
What did  I do to make you
withdraw into another
and set off this  sad
sad mutation?


No comments: